Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Wardrobe Malfunctions & Other Embarrassing Mishaps

So, by now I'm pretty used to embarrassing things happening to me. I don't even really get embarrassed anymore. Everyone makes mistakes or goofs. Stuff happens. No big deal. Still, I think a common courtesy should exist among humans so that when we see that someone else may potentially be embarrassed, we help them out. I know this happens a lot in the south. I try to warn people who have their shirts inside out or are wearing the size sticker on their new pants. Today, I had a doctor's appointment. While waiting to make my follow up appointment, I had to sneeze. It seemed like an average sneeze. No biggie. When it was my turn to talk to the receptionist, I made my appointment and headed downstairs to the pharmacy. The pharmacy was packed (flu season already?!) so I had to sit and wait about half an hour to see the pharmacist. I probably encountered thirty different people while at the pharmacy. I filled my prescriptions and went on my way to my car. As I was buckling the seatbelt, I noticed a HUGE wad of snot and other nasal residue all over my boob. Great. By this time, it had been about 40 minutes since my sneeze. Nobody bothered to point out my grossness just hanging on my chest greeting everyone without my knowledge.

Photo Credit: Google Images                             

I was reminded of the time I was at work at Bath & Body Works during college. All the associates and managers wear headsets to communicate inventory needs or to discuss other arrangements. I was the acting shift leader at the time when I hear somebody say on the headset that a lady had walked in the store showing her rear end. Naturally, there were lots of giggles and I thought my friend Leslie was going to choke. The lady had clearly accidentally tucked her skirt into her underwear after using the restroom or dressing. Where our store was located in the mall, she had to have walked through the busy mall a great deal without anyone telling her about her exposure. So, I took it upon myself to walk up to her and whisper, "Ma'am, I believe your skirt is tucked into your underwear. You can step right back here to fix it if you'd like." I could barely get the words out of my mouth before she turned completely red in embarrassment. Who can blame her? How long had she been shopping like that?! Similarly, in high school, (like most teen girls) my 'monthly visitor' was very random and surprising in her appearances. One day, this visitor decided to drop in without notice in all her glory. I asked to be excused to use the restroom but my teacher told me to wait until class was over in five minutes. That may have been the longest five minutes of my life. As the bell rang, I waited for the class to file out of the room as I slowly stood to make a dash for the restroom. The nearest one was nowhere near my current location. Nobody said a word to me as I made my way through the halls and the maze of students to get to the bathroom. When I finally got there, I turned pale while discovering that my visitor had left her mark ALL OVER the back of my khaki skirt. Nobody warned me! Nobody pulled me to the side or lent me a jacket to tie around my waist. This was even more traumatizing since it was high school, and we all know the high school years are the absolute worst ever. Luckily, the halls cleared out after the tardy bell rang and I was able to go to the office to call my Granny to rescue me.

So, let's all do each other a favor and warn one another about little mishaps that could really embarrass us. Wouldn't you want the same courtesy if roles were reversed?
Photo Credit: Getty Images         
"Excuse me, but you seem to have a thong static clinging to your dress, dear."

EDIT: As I've mentioned, my memory is foggy until otherwise jogged by someone else. Leslie read this post and reminded me of some details. I got the following message:
"I can picture the scene in my mind like it was yesterday. Bandy and I were working the registers and I told you about her over the headset. She was a woman of larger stature, about 300 pounds. When you told her, her entire body turned red. Her legs were even red. She had a bag of stuff that she just left on the floor as she did a 'fix and run' combo move. She didn't say thanks or anything. I went to the back to laugh." - Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment